Something strange has been happening lately - Danny Espinosa has been owning the Phillies.
When I decided to sit down and actually do research for this post, I found out that it goes much further than I had imagined. Some of the stats that I have found are absolutely amazing.
So, without further ado - let's take a statistical journey through Danny Espinosa's career against the Phillies - bullet-point style.
- His 2011 slash-line against the Phillies is .333/.414/.733. For those of you that can, you know, add, that comes out at a 1.147 OPS. [Ed. Note - Stats as of 9/22/11]
- In his relatively-short career, Danny Espinosa has 277 Total Bases - 52 of those have come against the Phillies. The next closest opponent is a tie between the Mets and the Braves at just 32 Total Bases.
- He has ten 3-Hit games this year, and three are against the Phillies.
- Espinosa has owned 3-time All-Star and Cy Young Award winner, Cliff Lee, to the tune of a .700/.700/1.700 slash-line in 10 career PA against him.
- Using our old friend addition - that is a 2.400 OPS against Cliff Lee. The next closest with at least 10 ABs vs. Lee is Manny Ramirez with a 1.583 in 17 ABs.
- More about Espi dominating Lee? Ok. Lee has given up 17 home runs this season - only Danny Espinosa has more than 1. He has 3.
- One last Lee nugget. Only 1 player has more career home runs against Lee than Espinosa - Paul Konerko with 6 (in 5x as many PAs).
- Roy Halladay has only given up 10 home runs this year, one of them was to Espinosa. (Note: Laynce *The Daynce* Nix and Michael Morse have also homered off of Halladay this year).
- Vance Worley has only given up 11 home runs this year, one of them was to Espinosa.
- Of Danny's 27 career homers - 8 have come against the Phils.
All of these numbers, including Cliff Lee's 4 remaining contract years, bode well for the Nationals as they build on what is becoming a heated rivalry between the two ball clubs.