Tuesday, October 25, 2011

A Few Good Men: 11 - Brown

It's week two of our journey to 44 player reviews covering each and every player that graced NatsTown's presence this past season. We will continue to tweak the process based on your comments, so keep those going.

Corey Brown - Age 25

How he became a Nat: He came over with Henry Rodriguez in the trade that sent Josh Willingham to Oakland.

The Raw Numbers:
Games - 3
ABs - 3
AVG - .000
K - 2
WAR - -0.1

Key Stat: 0.0 Innings. This is the amount of innings that Corey Brown played in the field this past year. Awesome.

Best Game: This is without-a-doubt been my favorite write-up of the series thus far, and part of the sheer ridiculousness of this series. Corey Brown had just 3 at-bats this year for the Nats before sitting out the last two weeks of the season with a staph infection; he struck out in two of the three at-bats. That being said, his best game of the season was his Major League debut, September 6th against the LA Dodgers - he flied out with the bases loaded in his lone at-bat.

Worst Game: Picking from his other two games, I would say that his worst game was September 11th against Houston - he struck out looking with two-on.

CapBall Grade: D. I have a feeling that we would've seen Brown get his first MLB hit and seen his first field action had he not been sidelined for the 2nd half of September with a Staph Infection. I declined to give him an F solely because the guy made his MLB Debut and that's worth celebrating.

2012 Nats Status: Corey Brown is on a one-way ticket to Syracuse. Since he crushed AA pitching in 2009-10 while in the A's system (.298/.387/.496) he has been abysmal at the dish at the AAA level with a slash line of .224/.308/.395. He won't make it back to the Majors before he learns how to hit MLB-ready pitching. I also could see Brown being a carbon copy of Bernadina, with the back-and-forth between DC and Syracuse.

3 comments:

  1. I consider myself to be pretty knowledgeable about the Nats but I have to confess than I could not pick this kid out of a line up. I also don't remember those at-bats. I do remember hearing about someone with a staph infection - nice claim to fame. Does he have a position or is he a utility guy? I think he needs to go back to the minors, forget his call-up and start over with a clean slate. I hope he is healthy now, though. Staph can be nasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marrero, Lombardozzi, Peacock, Milone - those are the minor leaguers who we buzzed about for half the season before they finally got the call. Corey Brown - not so much. Perhaps somebody had expectations of what role he might play, but I didn't hear that chatter. Wasn't he there in spring training? I forget what he did, though.

    ReplyDelete