Thursday, May 26, 2011

Discussion: Position Players Pitching

So, I would gather that there are several readers out there (myself included) that stayed up to the wee hours of the morning to watch the end of the marathon Reds-Phils game at Citizen's Bank Smallpark. Eventually the Phils would win on a bases loaded sac(k)-fly (thanks MASN) by Raul Ibanez in the bottom of the 19th inning. The most interesting stat from the night is that the winning pitcher was none other that second baseman, Wilson Valdez - who had played the whole game to that point at 2nd. He was the first position player in over ten years to win a ball game, the last being Brent Mayne, a Catcher for the Rockies at the time.

When talking with my brother about last night's events, he posed a question that now I forward on to you.

Which Nats position player would you want taking the mound in the 19th inning?

My thoughts on this will be in the comments, lets see some crazy answers (yes, I know Ankiel used to pitch - be a little more creative)

4 comments:

  1. I would want our own second baseman to take the bump in the 19th, Danny Espinosa. The kid has an absolute howitzer for an arm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to see Ankiel pitch, just to see if he ever figured out how to throw another strike again. Besides that, I think it'd be awesome to see Pudge throw. He has a cannon out there, and his relatively small frame would make it look hilariously fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ankiel, Desmond, and Espinosa are obvious choices, but I wouldn't want to risk injury (see Canseco, Jose). I'd go with the savvy veteran in Cora, a guy that probably knows how to pitch to batters rather than trying to throw cannonballs...

    ReplyDelete
  4. anon - i went with cora too...you dont hang around the game that long without playing around with that

    ReplyDelete